FOURQUEUX MUNICIPAL MONOGRAPH
From the canton and 3 kilometers from Saint Germain-en-Laye, halfway between Saint Germain and la-Bretèche, the village of Fourqueux, 15 kilometers from Versailles, is served by the main communication path n ° 98 which, coming from Pontel-Neauphle-le-Château, crosses the forest of Marly, and, past Fourqueux, ends at Saint-Germain.
Apart from the buses which serve the village, the traveler, who wants to take the railroad, has the choice between the station of Saint-Germain, the station of Mareil-Marly on the line of Grande-Ceinture, and the station of Saint- Nom-la-Bretèche, where you get to by crossing the beautiful forest of Marly.
The village of Fourqueux, in a very hilly country, dominates, on the south side, the valley of Etang-la-Ville.
M. Guégan found polished stone axes at Fourqueux.
Old Latin designation: Filcusae
Fourqueux was once a stately land with high, medium and low justice.
The seigneury of Fourqueux came under the king's authority because of the chatellenie of Poissy. All the women in the extent of the land of Fourqueux were to marry offer the Lord a dish of meat on the day of the wedding. Barthélémy de Fourqueux was one of the relatives of Louis VI le Gros.
In 1111, Louis VI exempted Barthélémy de Fourqueux from all rights of size, horse riding, provostal exactions for the oven he owned in Paris with six bakers and a stove maker.
In 1124, Louis VI confirms to the church of Saint-Germain en Laye an income from one muid of wheat on the mill that the monks of Coulomb allowed Barthélémy de Fourqueux to build above the pond of Saint Germain.
Barthélémy de Fourqueux appears as a witness to several charters of King Louis VI, from 1110 to 1126.
In 1138, Louis VII, recalling the Chaalis foundation (canton of Nanteuil, district of Selis (Oise)) by his father Louis-le-Gros, confirms to the religious the land of Faith near Béthisi (canton of Crépy-en-Valois, district of Senlis) to them given by Louis-le-Gros who had acquired it from Barthélémy de Fourqueux by way of exchange.
In 1140, Louis VII granted to the less of Notre-Dame des Chamos the customs (originally, rights established by custom) obtained from him by Barthélémy de Fourqueux on the men of Fourqueux and Anemont (of Fulcone and Anemonte) in what concerns the cutting of wood in the forest of Cruye: “pro incisione nemoris de silva quoe Croa dicitus. »The Cruye forest is the current Marly forest.
Anemont is today Hennemont, away from Saint-Germain, north of Fourqueux. Around 1200, Barthélémi de Monthion and Robert his brother sold the village of Hennemont to King Philippe-Auguste for 150 ponds of silver. In February 1536, François I confirmed the gifts, legacies and privileges granted by kings Philippe le Long (Poissy, August 1317) and Louis XII (Saint-Germain en Laye, July 1514) to Notre-Dame d'Hennemont, priory under the priory of Sainte-Catherine du Val des Ecoliers in Paris. In 1789, at the assembly of the three orders of the provost and viscounty of Paris, figure: Le Moine, parish priest of Marly and lord of Ennemont.
In 1210, Philippe Auguste, in exchange for the rights of Raoul de Fourqueux (Fulcosium) and his men to exercise in the woods of Cruie, gave said Raoul and his heirs twenty arpents to be taken in the same woods.
The abbey of Joyenval had registered the following lords for its obituary:
Lord Robert de Fourqueux, knight (Roberti de Fulcosa, militis), who had given the monastery the fifth part of its Bois de Cruie, died around 1242, and was buried in the cloister, Robert de Fourqueux le Jeune, knight, said of Giffe, with Mathilde, his wife, who had given to the monastery in 1247 their vineyard of Glaisière (clausum vinearum suarum de Glisserüs), said Robert died around 1265, the lord Guillaume de Fourqueux (de Fulcosa), knight, and Jeanne, his wife, who died around 1289, and the ladies Mabille and Pétronille, died around 1280, mother and aunt of said Guillaume, who had given the monastery several pennies on the Fourqueux tax, in charge of celebrating their anniversary service.
The parish church of Fourqueux contained the tomb of a Marguerite wife of Guillaume de Fourqueux, of which the figure is reproduced in the collection of Gaignières, I.II, 30.
In the 14th century, a Charles Poupart, worth the king's chamber, was lord of Fourqueux.
In the 15th and 16th centuries, the Montmirel or Montmirail, Robert de Montmirel, clerk of the king in his chamber of accounts. Louis de Montmirel, adviser to the king, general on the matter of aid. Etienne and Jean de Montmirel.
In 1554, Jean Gabarit, attorney for the seigneury of Fourqueux, agent of Miss Louise de Velve widow of Etienne de Montmirel, lord of Fourqueux, had the Fourqueux windmill made in Mahé Levillain, miller in Poissy, 22 pounds by 48 .
In 1580, at the assembly of the three orders of the provost and viscounty of Paris for the reformation of custom, Renée de Montmirail figure partly lady of Fourqueux.
Between 1532 and 1536, François I granted letters of franking to the inhabitants of Mareil-Marly and Fourqueux.
A decree of the Council of State of February 21, 1602 authorizes the creditors of the late Sieur d'O, superintendent of which of the finances, - whose notice on Ecquevilly relates the sumptuous life, - to make a cut in the woods of Fourqueux included in the estate of the deceased.
In the 17th century, we find Antoine Seguier Lord of Villiers and Fourqueux.
Born in Paris in 1552, he was the fifth of the sixteen children of presidents Pierre Seguier lord of Borel, of l'Etang-la-Ville, of Saint-Brisson and of Autry, and of Louise Boudet.
In 1576, superintendent of justice in Provence to moderate the rigors exercised by the parliament against the caloinists, he was appointed Councilor of State on his return. Some time after, he returned to Provence in charge of helping the governor duke of Epernon with his advisers, and stood out by staying in Aix decimated by the plague while Epernon and the parliament had hastily left their posts.
Successively adviser to the parliament of Paris 1577, master of requests of the Hotel, advocate general to said parliament 23 October 1587, president with mortar 1587, he was in 1598 Ambassador of Henry IV to the Republic of Venice he succeeded in diverting from give his support to the Duke of Savoy;
In 1607, he presided over the chamber created to prosecute contractors who had enriched themselves at the expense of the state.
He died in Paris in November 1624 childless and was buried in the church of Saint-André des Ares.
Fourqueux passed to his nephew, the famous chancellor Pierre Seguier, born in Paris 1588, died in Saint-Germain en Laye 1672, a character whose political action was considerable and whose life is partially told in the Mantes notice.
The Bouvards of Fourqueux
In the 17th and 18th centuries, we find the Bouvard de Fourqueux.
In 1649, in the list of houses in the vicinity of Paris on which a tax was established for the maintenance of the troops that the rebels of the Fronde forced to maintain around the capital, "the land of Fourqueux belonging to the sieur Bouvard ci-devant advise the court. »Is included for 3000 l.
Charles Michel Bouvard de Fourqueux, married to Marie Françoise Rouillé du Coudray, attorney general of the chamber of justice instituted in March 1716 against contractors, munitioners and usurers. It is said that after having severely demanded against a rich concussionnaire and obtained the confiscation of his furniture, he obtained, among this furniture, magnificent buckets of silver, which made him nickname "the keeper of the buckets." "M. Narbonne, police commissioner of Versailles, writes in his Journal:" M. de Fourqueux, attorney general of the chamber of accounts, and who was also of the chamber of justice, was poor before being attached to it; but he got rich considerably while the weather was good. There would be things to say about all of this that my scruples about not shocking anyone prevent me from saying. Most of those who are in eminent places are more occupied with their fortunes, which they often dispel in their pleasures, than with useful work for the good of the king and the state. "
Charles Michel Bouvard de Fourqueux, undoubtedly son of the preceding one, friend of Turgot (Chamfort, portraits and anecdotes, CXLIV), became general controller of finances on April 9, 1787, on the dismissal of Calonne: “the party of the queen, wrote Henri Martin, temporarily pushed to the control general an old councilor of state without consequence, M. de Fourqueux. It was a question, for the queen's party, of avoiding the recall of Necker. Fourqueux not only was old and infirm, but "never had the Council of State's wig covered a poorer head," according to a word from Mme de Staël which I find reported in M. Aimé Chérest's imposing work, La Chute. of the old regime. However, Mme de Staël was no doubt resentful of Fourqueux for occupying a position her father had hoped for. Astonished himself at his elevation, Fourqueux defended himself from accepting for a moment, then yielded. He discovered and made known to the king the loss of the assignments on the domains that the Comptroller General Calonne had delivered for his stock exchange operations without being authorized to do so. The king, irritated by this infidelity, exhibited Calonne in his land of Lorraine.
On May 1, 1787, faced with the rapid worsening of the financial crisis, Loménie de Brienne, archbishop of Toulouse, was appointed head of the finance council, and it was understood that Laurent de Villedeuil, appointed controller general instead of Fourqueux resigned, would only be his first clerk. Bouvard de Fourqueux was admitted to the Council of State, without a department, and resumed the position of head of the finance litigation committee he had before his short ministry.
He died in February 1789. The passage of the Memoirs of Saint-Priest where this ... appreciated his colleague at the Council of State is curious (I, 215). He had married on December 16, 1740 Marie Louise Auget de Monthion, sister of the philanthropist, who, widowed, renounced the community. He had had a son, Michel Bouvard de Fourqueux, and two daughters.
In 1779, Michel Bouvard de Fourqueux, Councilor of State, Lord of Fourqueux, Bouret and Feuillancourt, made a tenancy lease of several coppiced woods, on condition of clearing them, to the inhabitants of Fourqueux, who committed themselves in in addition to paying the priest the tithe on the lands thus cleared.
At the assembly of notables which met in Versailles on February 22, 1787, figure Michel Bouvard de Fourqueux, knight, ordinary councilor of state on the council of dispatches and on the royal council of commerce.
Of the two daughters of the former Comptroller General: one, Anne Marie Rosalie Bouvard de Fourqueux, married Jean Charles Philibert de Erudaine, intendant of finances in 1761, and died in September 1776; the other Adélaïde Agnès Elisabeth Bouvard de Fourqueux, born 1745, married in 1769 Etienne Maynon d'Invault, controller general. The Condé museum, in Chantilly, preserves, by Carmontel, a portrait of a young girl, Annette de Fourqueux, represented on the church square in a village.
From 1789 to 1790, the sieur Dauphin, bourgeois of Paris, former private secretary of M. de Fourqueux, and Philippe Julien, former gardener and concierge of the Château de Fourqueux, continued in front of the Châtelet and in front of the parliament, Trudaine de la Sablière and others heirs of M. de Fourqueux, in delivery of particular legacies.
The Trudaine were allied with the La Sablière as follows:
The famous Madame de la Sablière, née Marguerite Hessein, had married in 1654 Antoine Rambouillet sieur de la Sablière, son of the financier Nicolas Rambouillet sieur du Plessis, and from this marriage were born three children, 1 ° Nicolas sieur du Plessis and de Lancey, born 1656, who fled from France when the Edict of Nantes was revoked; his daughter, Renée Madeleine Rambouillet de la Sablière, married, February 1701, Charles Trudaine, provost of merchants (who had by her: a) Daniel Charles Trudaine, master of requests and intendant of Auvergne 1730, intendant of finances 1734, director des Ponts et Chaussées, honorary member of the Académie des Sciences, died January 1769. b) Trudaire de Lauzière, marshal of the camp, died in 1736. c) The Marquise de Ponceaux died in 1729. d) The Marquise de la Tour-Maubouy died 1734 ..); 2 ° Anne, married in 1672 to Jacques Muisson; 3 ° Marguerite, who married 1678 Guillaume Scot marquis de la Mésangère, councilor in the parliament of Rouen.
Jean Charles Philibert de Trudaine lord of Montigny (Montigny is currently a town in the department of Seine et Marne. The castle no longer exists; the area has been subdivided.), Who is the widower of a daughter of the master of requests Antoine Gagne de Périgny , married for a second marriage in 1761, Anne Marie Rosalie Bouvard de Fourqueux, was grandson of the Provost of Merchants, Charles Trudaine. Born in 1733, Intendant General of Finances, he was a distinguished economist, scholar and scholar, friend of Voltaire. The Secret Memories represent him as deeply in love with Madame Le Blanc de Guillot, wife of the literary author of the tragedies of Mango-Capac and the Druids. He died on August 5, 1777, a year after his wife, struck with apoplexy, on a railway serving the castle of Montigny. He left two sons:
1 ° Charles Louis Trudaine, Lord of Montigny born September 1764;
2 ° Charles Michel Trudaine, Lord of La Sablière (la Sablière, in Saint-Germain-le-Gaillard, was called Plessis-Cheville before Nicolas Rambouillet gave him the name of La Sablière.) Born May 1766.
These two Trudaine brothers, through their grandfather Fourqueux, were given the office of king's lawyer at Châtelet, the first in 1782, the second in 1783, then were appointed advisers to Parliament, 1785, 1786 They rallied to the Revolution, despite which they were imprisoned with their friend André Chénier, and guillotined, aged 29 and 28, on 8 Thermidor Year II (July 26, 1794). Their property, Montigny-Leucoup and La Sablière, estimated at 2,888,700 pounds, was transferred half to the paternal line, half to the maternal line. One eighth of the share devolved to the paternal line fell - I have not found by virtue of what relationship - to Maximilienne Augustine Henriette de Béthune-Sully widow of Armand Louis François Edme de Béthune Charost whom the revolution beheaded in April 1794 , as it is reported in the notice on the Béthune (Mantes). - Half of the part devoted to the maternal line fell to Adélaïde Agnès Bouvard de Fourqueux wife of Etienne Magnon d'Invau, maternal aunt of the deceased, who came into the possession of Montigny-Leucoup, which Elisabeth Françoise Bouvard de Fourqueux inherited in 1811, woman of Le Cornu de Ballivière county; the latter passed for a natural daughter of M. de la Sablière; she sold Montigny.
In a letter of January 3, 1817, Charles de Rémusat wrote to his mother: “Read the Confessions of a Woman, by Madame de Fourqueux: this is the book that you can find on every fireplace at the moment. (I have not found any information on Madame de Fourqueux novelist. I do not find her quoted in the Correspondance littéraire de Grimm (et al.), Which goes up to the Revolution. The catalog of the National Library inscribed, in the name by Madame de Fourqueux, three novels: Zélie or the difficulty of being happy, Indian novel, 1775. - Julie de Saint-Almont or the first illusions of love, 300l. 1805, - Amélie de Tréville ou le Solitaire, 300l 1806. The Confessions of a Woman do not appear.
Fourqueux and the Marly machine
Bachaumont, in his Memoirs, dated March 3, 1778, speaks of Mme de Fourqueux, undoubtedly the wife of the Comptroller General, "a virtuoso presiding over a witty office ..."
In this year 1778, Madame d'Houdetot being in Fourqueux, the noise made there by the machine of Marly, - the machine of Marly was still the one that Louis XIV had had built, which produced an infernal noise, - this uproar inspired Madame d'Houdetot to write the following lines, for Saint-Lambert's loving friend communicated with him in poetry:
These redoubled efforts and these moans,
This iron apparatus and these great movements,
Everywhere offer the offended nature to the senses;
She seems to be moaning about being forced,
And, reluctantly yielding to the fetters of art,
To the whims of kings complains of having part.
Ah! that I like the modest fountain
Who, in these flowery meadows, fled to the foot of an oak,
And which, forming the course of a peaceful stream,
Water lawns as cool as its water.
The Marly machine built from 1675 to 1682, when hydraulic science was still in its infancy, was worn out at the time of Madame d'Houdetit, and no longer sent to Versailles a much reduced quantity of water. The bailliage of Versailles' book of grievances in 1789 called for repair or reconstruction. A first repair took place in 1804. The current machine dates from 1859.
The Marly machine is on the territory of Louveciennes.
Extraordinary taxation under the Hundred Years War
By letter sent on August 18, 1365 to elected officials on the fact of aid for the fact of the war in the city and diocese of Paris, Charles V ordered that the inhabitants of Fourqueux, dependent on the diocese of Chartres, should not be forced to pay the aid ordered on the matter of wine, which they demanded because Fourqueux had been bailed out with the town of Mareil when the towns of the diocese of Paris were bailed out.
On November 9, 1366, King Charles V ordered Robert de Maule, receiver of the ordered aids, to be lifted on each fire seven leagues around Mantes for the repair of the fort of this city, which he relieved of this imposition. the inhabitants of Saint-Germain en Laye, Mareil-sou-Marly, Fourque (Fourqueux) and Saint-Léger-en-Laye, who had their refuge in the castle of Saint-Germain and not that of Mantes.
When the Estates General was convened in 1789, the inhabitants of Fourqueux wrote a notebook of fifteen articles reflecting the general grievances of the third estate at that time.
Article 5 demands "that the most prompt means be employed to give aid to the poor farmers of the countryside who have been overloaded with taxes for a long time and in particular to those who have experienced the most annoying accidents of thunderstorms and storms. hail, which arrived during the last year and which lost all their harvest which was the price of their most arduous work; who are still grieved that their vines are frozen from the severe frosts of last winter; and in particular the parish of Fourqueux, whose territory is spoiled and which has no hope of harvest, having no other resource than the vine, is in the most pressing case that it is given help. "
As for the other parishes bordering the forest, article 9 asks " that the masteries and captaincies be abolished as devouring in advance the hope of the poor farmer ... "
The notebook ends: "Done at the bench of the work in the parish church of Fourqueux, on Easter Tuesday, after Vespers, April 14, 1789, and signed ..." follow twenty four signatures, including five of the same patronymic name : Beauvais.
The two inhabitants deputed by the parish to bring this notebook to the preliminary assembly of the third estate of the provost and viscount of Paris outside the Walls, which was held at the archbishopric on April 18, 1789, were: Hébert and Clairembourg or Clerancourt .
Laval, parish priest of Fourqueux
In the order of the clergy, at the assembly of the provost and viscount of Paris outside the Walls, we find: M. Laval, parish priest of Fourqueux.
Mr. Laval took the oath to the civil constitution of the clergy on January 23, 1791, then was chosen as episcopal vicar by the bishop of the diocese of Versailles, a diocese naturally created by the laws on the civil constitution of the clergy, diocese corresponding to the department of Seine -and-Oise.
Religious unrest in 1793 du Castelier, parish priest of Fourqueux
When M. Laval, parish priest of Fourqueux, had been called to Versailles by the constitutional bishop, he was replaced by M. de Castelier, first as serving vicar, then as elected parish priest.
M. du Castelier, ex-Génovéfain, had occupied the priory of Hennemont and the priory-cure of Saint-Léger-en-Laye, from 1776 to the year 1781 when he had been disgraced by the ecclesiastical authority because of factums he published favorable to new ideas.
Occupying the cure of Fourqueux, he persisted, although a patriot, in celebrating worship when it had been proscribed. On Wednesday, December 25, 1793, he celebrated the Christmas holidays in Fourqueux, and the faithful flocked there all the more numerous as came those from all the neighboring parishes where the practice of worship was suppressed.
The surveillance committee of Montagne du Bon-Air, moved by this fact, sent two of its members with two gendarmes to arrest the priest and make a search in the presbytery located at the bedside of the church. On the arrival of the latter, the inhabitants sound the toisin: in front of the threatening riot, the representatives of the authority withdraw after having simply opposed the seals to the presbytery, leaving the parish priest at liberty. On December 27, the priest, informed that an expedition was on the way to stop him, slipped away.
The district commissioners arrive with twenty mounted gendarmes from Meulan, 80 national guards from Montagne du Bon Air, and 40 soldiers of the revolutionary artillery with a piece of cannon. The village is invested. In the presbytery, white cabbage. However, there is a lot of paperwork and "different signs of feudalism." »We proceed to the disarmament of the inhabitants who put back without resistance: 19 rifles, 22 sabers, hunting knives and swords, 36 pikes, 17 pistols, an ax, two bayonets fitted with a pike to which was adapted the pennant of the company. The bells, with which the toisin was rung on December 25, are taken down and broken, their debris and all seized items are transported to the district. A dozen inhabitants are taken and imprisoned in the jail of the capital.
On 12 Nivôse Year II, January 1, 1794, Charles Delacroix and Musset, representatives on mission in the department of Seine and Oise, addressed a letter from Versailles to the Committee of Public Safety in which they said: “… It seemed to us that the the very agony of fanaticism and superstition required some care. We deployed, when it was necessary, a great apparatus of force, so as not to be obliged to use it, a lot of severity against the chiefs of cabal, of indulgence for the deceived men. This is how we smothered some sparks which could have produced a great fire. This is how the religious troubles of Epône, Fourqueux, Arpajon, Savigny, were appeased. "
The parish priest, a refugee in Paris, was arrested on January 6 following an imprudence.
On January 19, the supervisory committee of Saint-Germain, obtained the release of the defendants of Fourqueux, all the rigor to be reserved for the priest, warned of counter-revolutionary maneuvers.
On 25 Prairial Year II, June 13, 1794, appeared before the revolutionary tribunal Louis Adrien Ducastellier aged 49, native of Lisieux (Calvados), parish priest of Fourqueux, on charges of having resigned from his official duties to celebrate the ceremonies of Catholic worship. He declares that the letter he wrote to the Convention on 23 Brumaire (November 13, 1793) was misunderstood, that he never ceased to serve; that it is true that some communes surrounding Fourqueux came, of their own movement, to participate in the church of Fourqueux and in particular on the day which is called Christmas; but that had made no split, except on the part of the commune of Saint-Germain, which had not seen him favorably; if he evaded the arrest warrant, it was in order to come and justify himself. - He is condemned to death (Wallon, Histoire du tribunal Révolutionnaire, I. IV.)
The church, under the name of Sainte-Croix, dates from the 13th and 16th centuries. Its west and south sides are on the boundary of the park of the castle of M. Marret. It is not large and is composed of a nave and two aisles. In the 18th century, it was equipped with a low square bell tower, topped with an octagonal stone pyramid. No staircase gives access to this bell tower, built above the middle of the nave. A moving fresco in memory of the dead of the great war, by the painter Marret, covers part of the back wall of the church. At the back of the church, a vulgar statue of Christ bending under the weight of the cross, in life size, recalls the invocation under which the church is placed.
Holy Cross: Patronal feast: Invention of the Holy Cross. We call invention of the Holy Cross the discovery of the real cross during the excavations that Saint Helena, mother of the emperor Constantine, had carried out on the mount of Calvary in 326. The cross of Jesus Christ was, it seems. , olive wood, hardwood, compact and heavy. The preservation of the cross in the earth for nearly three centuries would make it possible to attribute an exceptional quality to the wood from which it was made. On the site where the cross was found, which was the place of the crucifixion and burial of Jesus Christ, Saint Helena had the Church of the Holy Sepulcher built, where a piece of this cross was kept. Pieces of the surplus of the cross were spread throughout the universe. Pope Justin II gave a piece of it to Radegonde who entrusted it to the altar of the monastery by her founded in Poitiers, and this monastery took the name of Convent of the Holy Cross. On this occasion, the poet Fortunat, bishop of Poitiers, friend of Radegonde, composed a beautiful hymn that the church still sings: Vexilla regis prodeunt.
The feast of the invention of the Holy Cross is celebrated on May 3. - On May 3, 1429, Joan of Arc, in Orleans, took part in the procession in honor of the Invention of the Holy Cross, under the invocation of which is placed the cathedral of Orleans; the next day, she took one of the bastilles of the English. - May 3 once took place a very popular pilgrimage to the ancient and famous Calvary of Mont-Valérien.
Maigremont : The Pouillé General of the Abbeys of France in 1626 lists among the benefits of the Abbey of Coulomb, in the Archdeacon of Pincerais, the church of Maigremont annexed to Sainte-Croix de Fourqueux. Maigremont can only be Aigremont.
Cemetery : The cemetery which was once near the church has been moved to the top of the village, on the road to Saint Nom-la-Bretèche. At the entrance to this cemetery, the town had a simple pyramid-shaped monument erected "to the heroes of the great war." »The names of eighteen victims of the 1914-1918 war, one victim of the colonial wars (1881), and two victims of the 1870 war are inscribed there.
The Château de Fourqueux was built from 1807 to 1820 on the site of a 17th century château hosted by the poets Chenier and Lebrun. Its facade opposite the village, enjoys a beautiful view of the Seine valley. Its park, very large, extends to the south, as far as the forest of Marly. In 1815 according to Oudiette, the owner was M. le comte de (Balivère?).
During the summer of 1836, the Victor Hugo family rented this castle to spend the beautiful season there. Léopoldine Hugo, then “Didine”, daughter of the poet, made her first communion there; this Léopoldine was to tragically perish in Villequier in 1843, seven months after her marriage to Charles Vaquerie.
The castle currently belongs to Mr. Henri Marret, painter, Croix-de-Guerre, sons and grandsons of previous lords.
At the windmill, from which one enjoys an admirable panorama, the Countess of Béarn had a chalet built surrounded by magnificent gardens.
North of Fourqueux: Desert or Hézards farm.
To the south: Fourqueux post office forest house, not far from the Frédéric fountain and near a cedar.
Vines : Fourqueux no longer owns the vineyard that Joanne wrote in her Guide of 1863: “ The groves of Montaigu, the vines of Fourqueux, Mareil and the Vallée de l'Etang, are loved by partridges and thrushes. In 1742, the harvest was exceptionally good. The Sieur Lazurier, at Fourqueux, sold a hundred muids of wine for a hundred louis d'or. (Journal of Pierre Narbonne.)
Culture : strawberries, 10 hectares; - cauliflower, 20 hectares; - potatoes, 23 hectares. - Important orchards.
Golf : The Golf-club of Marly et Fourqueux, founded in 1924 and chaired by Mr. Léon Visinet, occupies the former domain of Fourqueux, 75 hectares enclosed by walls.
Water and light : In 1935, merger of the Compagnie Nouvelle d'Eclairage, Chauffage et Force Motrice of the town of Saint-Germain en Laye and extensions (Fourqueux, etc. with the Société Lyonnaise des Eaux et de l'Eclairage).
Forest of Marly
The old forest of Cruye took the name of forest of Marly since the construction of the castle of Marly by Louis XIV around 1670.
From the bottom of Fourqueux, a path, which forms the limit between the commune of Fourqueux and that of Mareil-Marly, leads, in one kilometer, to the door of the forest of Marly known as the door of Mareil, from which one enjoys of a remarkable view.
The main communication path from Saint-Germain-Port-Marly to Pontel, runs along, at the end of the village of Fourqueux, for about 500 meters, the wall of the castle park, and then enters the forest of Marly by the so-called door Porte de Fourqueux, near the cedar already mentioned.
The forest of Marly is surrounded by walls, and gives the name of doors to the openings through which the roads enter the forest. There may once have been real doors, which usually no longer exist, but there is usually a ranger's house. This is the case with the Porte de Fourqueux.
In the forest, over about a kilometer of its course, the said path forms the separation between the municipalities of Fourqueux and Etang-la-Ville. From the Saint-Germain-en-Laye bus, this path climbs continuously to Place Royale, a forest crossroads located at an altitude of 170 meters, 500 meters before arriving at Bretèche.
Not far from Place Royale is the small station known as Saint-Nom la Bretèche, which ends on the main belt railway line of the electric railway line coming from Saint-Lazare station. The station of Saint-Nom la Bretèche, in the middle of the forest, is on the territory of the municipality of Etang-la-Ville.
In Fourqueux was born in 1828 Hubbard (Nicolas Gustave), economist and publicist, author of a Contemporary History of Spain in four volumes (1879-1883), of a historical drama in five acts, Vincent Richard, 1887. He died in Paris in February 1888. - Refugee in Spain from 1851 to 1868 following the Coup d'Etat, there was a son, Gustave Adolphe Hubbard, who was a radical deputy for Seine-et-Oise from 1885 to 1898.
Population of Fourqueux:
In 1866… 366 inhabitants
In 1926… 490 inhabitants
In 1931… 653 inhabitants
In 1936… 672 inhabitants
Source: departmental archives of Yvelines, Transcription Mathieu Thédié, Code: J 3211/7